Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Heart Fully Devoted to God

[Reflections on Fruit That Will Last by Tim Hawkins]

Before discussing any programs or practicalities, Tim Hawkins dissects the leader’s heart. Why? Because it determines the kind of disciples produced, the extent to which God will work through them, and the amount of lasting fruit produced from their ministry.

Someone once said that the greatest gift a pastor or preacher can give to their congregation is their own personal growth. And I think the same is true of youth leaders. If there is one thing I should offer to the youth that I lead, it would be the example of my own heart, aflame with passion and abandon for God.

Before expending energy on programs and activities, I need to deeply root myself in God, and ferociously guard my heart from the diseases of pride, division, self-sufficiency, and idolatry.

“Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.”

No comments: