Friday, April 28, 2006

Communication Beyond Content

[Reflections on Purpose Driven Youth Ministry by Doug Fields]

In chapter seven Doug highlights the importance of communication beyond just the content. “A great communicator must have ethos, pathos, and logos.” (p.123)

Ethos is about the integrity and trust-worthiness of the speaker. I need to make sure that whenever I speak to students, I’m living a life-style that they can follow, and not privately chasing sin that could damage the message.

Pathos refers to the level of compassion and empathy. I need to make sure my heart is directed at the students, genuinely caring for them and not seeking to promote or exalt myself as a leader. Do I truly seek to see inside their needs and struggles and respond with love?

Logos is the knowledge of the subject. I need to prepare well by gaining a deep grasp of the subject before explaining it to others. Rather that just spending left-over time on a rushed preparation I should intently study the topic and know both all the benefits, struggles, pitfalls and criticisms to present a truthful and God-honouring message for students to follow.

No comments: