Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Survival Techniques

[Reflections on Purpose Driven Youth Ministry by Doug Fields]

Survival. That describes youth ministry sometimes. It is a draining and difficult arena to minister in, and finishing the race well is a serious responsibility. I don’t want to burn out and leave my leadership position because of exhaustion, and yet I glimpse the early stages of that when ministry gets ‘busy’. Emotional energy must be managed well, more so than physical energy. Doug offers several suggestions for protecting against burnout, but a day off seems the most needed element in my ministry.

I try and make Sunday my day off. But ‘trying’ isn’t consistency. I really need to dedicate a 24-hour period each week to breaking from work and ministry to focus intently on God, draw rest and refreshment, and just take a day that I can really look forward to. In the past I have had a consistent ‘Sabbath’ that allowed me to hear the voice of God and receive the needed energy for the coming week, however with a new routine this year I need to fight to recapture that discipline.

No comments: